As far as I know, this malfunction can be caused by different software. It may be a game or an anti-virus that has crashed or some other application. I discovered this issue one day on a Windows XP SP3 Operating System and was taken aback by seeing just the character and no search box. After a quick search, the solution was found.
Saving Search Companion
The following are the steps needed to solve this issue. (NB: Click means Left Click and all windows should be closed):
These two search aides can be found on any Windows Operating System (’98 and Up). (On latter versions,Windows Search is the default search application). Being a child of the late ’80’s , I would spend time playing with the Search Companion Character and it was my best friend for finding files.
After quite a number of years using Search Companion, I was introduced to Windows Search. Windows Search carried some odd options for the task I wished to carry out. There were various places to search for the file. However it seemed that there was never the right place in the drop down listing and no option to browse further afield. Additionally, it never brought back the kind of results I wished to find.
Search Companion, Found
I felt relieved when a little scroll downwards revealed the saviour of my sanity, my friend, the Search Companion. Quickly manipulating the options, I was able to locate the files I needed and make necessary changes.
Perhaps in time I will grow to understand Windows Search but for the mean time, Search Companion is it.
With today’s rate of technology growth you may think that it’ll be easy to just plug and play a USB internet connection. Think again!!
Today I finally got my Windows 7 HP Dell Laptop (Yes, I still have and continue to use my faithful XP). First step: Internet connection for updates.
AS with most if not all laptops, there is a wireless card. Unlike some people however, I have to further configure my systems to work with a wired broadband connection.
Events proceeded as follows.
Plugged in USB Connection
Saw the usual pop ups that stated that a new device was found and was in the process of installing
A notification popped up stating that the software was not successfully installed.
Slight pause to figure out what happened.
After some searches and investigation of the other systems configured, the solution became quite clear.
Using a primary connection (The internet jack or RJ-45 jack) successful connection was made.
Updated and registered my AV (Safety First)
Opened Google Chrome and visited the Driver Max website.
Downloaded the Driver Max software from the Cnet link on the Driver Max Page
Installed and registered software.
Plugged in USB Internet Connection to be used
Scan system for drivers.
Searched the listing for the ethernet driver.
Clicked for more versions
Directed to webpage with a digitally signed version of the driver.
Clicked to download driver
Followed on-screen instructions
Right clicked on Computer on Desktop
Clicked the Hardware Tab
Clicked Device Manager
Clicked on the menu button to scan for changes
The wireless icon changed to a monitor type icon with a plug on it.
Hope this will be of some assistance. Feel free to drop me a line