Good evening Our Loyal Readers, Subscribers and prospective viewers,
Before we continue our posts , here is an update on our status. Last year, 2013) has been a changing year: a lot of learning of new technologies on our end. A change in jobs can do that. We have transitioned to a corporate environment where although the technical issues remain the same( for some areas), the scale is a lot larger. The effects and impacts are heavier and the consequences of screwing up. Yes. you got it, Graver.
We are gaining experience in more advanced technologies with the greatest hope to succeed. We jumped from Windows 7 and MS Suite 2007 into Windows 8 and MS Suite 2010 and all the mayhem that entails. And We are so proud of this. We jumped from hardly using Outlook 2003 to creating actions to ease the hundreds of incoming emails in Outlook 2010. 2013 has been a great year for us and we thank you for all of your support.
What better way to start off our 2014 than with our follow-up post on Surviving in the Workplace(Multi-Part) Series. See you next time.
How it started.
I was at home and needed to edit a MS Excel 2007 file. Having OpenOffice installed (And only 2003 Excel), I used the Calc module to edit the document and saved the changes made.
Still In the Dark..
After multiple changes and updates on the document, I overwrote the copy on my flash drive. All is well.
…Saw the Light…Oh Oh!
I was however, totally unaware (that on saving) that some of the structural settings native to MS Excel 2007 were modified to function in OpenOffice Calc. I only discovered this issue when on opening, the file complained about being corrupt and the file was to send that day. Oh! Oh!
Attempts at Work
I tried File – Open – Open and Repair
I tried extracting the data from the file
I tried relocating file to the computer
I tried changing computers
I even tried installing a recovery software (unsuccessfully due to no administrative rights!!)
I tried searching for ways to recover file without installing software (which prompted me to pen this piece)
Whilst at home I attempted to open the file once more with the suspicion of something being wrong with the system at work or flash drive file. No such luck.
With a prayer and fingers crossed, I opened the file in OpenOffice Calc and …BINGO!!
It was all there. Nice and Open. I re-saved this time as MS Excel 2003. (Please note that this article in no way is to discredit the great creation that is OpenOffice. I have never had any issues with switching from any of the other components in OpenOffice to their counterparts in MS Office Suite, except with Excel 2007. )
After additional changes I was able to successfully open the file in Excel 2007 (compatibility mode) and so send the file to the respective recipient.
Lessons to To Be Learnt
Always save in the lowest compatible build i.e save in 2003 rather in 2007.
Always have multiple options (although they may be in different locations) and
Unless you are an I.T Manager or Something you will not have administrative privileges
If you have learnt any lessons from this or your own experience feel free to share.